Access to Education for Rural Students
There remains no doubt in the mind of the Victorian Auditor-General about the challenges facing Rural and Regional Victorians.
Mr. John Doyle, Auditor-General for Victoria has published the current assessment of Access to Education for Rural Students [April 2014].
This report highlights the lack of evidence-based planning for the DEECD and the challenges for the education sector as a whole.
The Auditor-General states:
- The department has not provided access to high-quality education for all students.
- The gap in performance between rural and metropolitan students in Victoria has persisted.
- The department has a limited understanding of the impact of:
- its activities in rural education
- recent training reforms on rural training provision.
- The department’s plan to address gaps in rural student performance is behind schedule.